2011 Award of Excellence: Patrick Mulholland
Dr. Patrick Mulholland is the 2011 recipient of the Society’s Award of Excellence in Benthic Science. Pat has been on the leading edge of benthological research for over 30 years and his scientific accomplishments are unquestionably profound and transformative. During much of his career, Pat’s research has focused on stream structure and function. In particular, he is considered the leading expert on nutrient dynamics in stream eco-systems and has made significant contributions to our understanding on how watershed hydrology influences stream nutrient and organic carbon concentrations. Much of Pat’s research in the past 10 years has focused on nitrogen dynamics in streams. He has been an inspirational leader and mentor in several large multi-collaborator projects, including the Lotic Intersite Nitrogen Experiments (LINX I and LINX II).
This Award speaks to his national and international reputation. A long time member of SFS, Pat has served the society in a number of capacities, including member and chair of the Executive Committee and of the Board of the Endowment Trust Committee, and as an Associate Editor of Freshwater Science.
We are pleased to present Dr. Patrick Mulholland's Award of Excellence Lecture viewed by members at the 2011 SFS meeting in Providence, RI.
Studies in Collaborative Research (or sometimes just riding coat-tails of others)
- Making Waves Podcast Episode 27: Animal Migrations andnd Freshwater Nutrient Subsidies , Amanda Subalusky more
- Making Waves Podcast Episode 26: Carbon Fates, Dr. Erin Hotchkiss more
- Does Cultural Diversity Matter to Scientific Societies? Read the President's Environment more
- SFS Student Presentation Awards! more
- In the drift just fell into your sampler! The Spring 2015 Newsletter is here! more
- Making Waves Podcast Episode 14: Nitrogen Fixation in a Warming World, Dr. Jill Welter more
- The President's Environment: What's New? more
Longtime SFS member and Oregon State University professor Dr. Norman Anderson passed away January 13, 2018.more
4th International Symposium of the Benthological Society of Asia and 2nd Youth Freshwater Ecology School August 19-25, 2018more
2018 Benthic Ecology Meeting (BEM) in Corpus Christi, Texas, USA: 28-30 March 2018.
The deadline to submit proposals for AQUATROP Special Sessions or Symposiums is now November 17, 2017.more
SFS joins CASS in condemning silencing of EPA scientistsmore