2012 Award of Excellence: Arthur Benke
The Award of Excellence and Distinguished Service Award Subcommittee is pleased to announce that Dr. Arthur C. Benke is the recipient of the SFS 2012 Award of Excellence in Benthic Science. Art has been a leader in the ecology of benthic freshwater invertebrates and their role in aquatic ecosystems for over 30 years. Artâ€™s major accomplishment has been his pioneering research on secondary production of benthic invertebrate communities; that pioneering research continues today. In 1992, Art was invited to give the Edgardo Baldi Memorial Lecture to the 25th SIL Congress in Spain. This recognition speaks to his international reputation in benthic invertebrate production. In addition to this research, Art has also played a significant role in the advancement of river conservation in North America. The outstanding and awardwinning book â€œRivers of North Americaâ€� and its companion, the â€œField Guide to Rivers of North America,â€� are excellent demonstrations of his commitment to river conservation in North America. A long-time member of the SFS/NABS, Art has served as the Societyâ€™s President, as a member of the Executive Committee, as a J-NABS Associate Editor, and as a member of numerous committees. He has displayed a life-long love and dedication to the Society and to its goal of promoting the further understanding of freshwater benthic systems.
Evolution of a Benthologist
- Fall 2017 Issue of In the Drift now available! more
- Making Waves Ep. 25: Modeling Environmental DNA Movement in Streams, Arial Shogren more
- September 2017 Issue of Freshwater Science now online more
- Does Cultural Diversity Matter to Scientific Societies? Read the President's Environment more
- SFS Student Presentation Awards! more
- In the drift just fell into your sampler! The Spring 2015 Newsletter is here! more
- Making Waves Podcast Episode 14: Nitrogen Fixation in a Warming World, Dr. Jill Welter more
Andy Leidolf appointed as SFS Executive Director
SFS LOGO CONTEST VOTE!
Over 60 logos were submitted by 28 individuals and narrowed to 3 finalists. Now is your chance to select the winner.more
SFS signs two letters sent to the US EPA regarding the Trump Administration's proposed revisions to the Waters of the US rule
COMPETITION CLOSED - SFS announces logo redesign competition. Submissions due 21 Aug. 2017.more
Please take a short survey on the SFS logo redesignmore