2012 Award of Excellence: Arthur Benke
The Award of Excellence and Distinguished Service Award Subcommittee is pleased to announce that Dr. Arthur C. Benke is the recipient of the SFS 2012 Award of Excellence in Benthic Science. Art has been a leader in the ecology of benthic freshwater invertebrates and their role in aquatic ecosystems for over 30 years. Artâ€™s major accomplishment has been his pioneering research on secondary production of benthic invertebrate communities; that pioneering research continues today. In 1992, Art was invited to give the Edgardo Baldi Memorial Lecture to the 25th SIL Congress in Spain. This recognition speaks to his international reputation in benthic invertebrate production. In addition to this research, Art has also played a significant role in the advancement of river conservation in North America. The outstanding and awardwinning book â€œRivers of North Americaâ€� and its companion, the â€œField Guide to Rivers of North America,â€� are excellent demonstrations of his commitment to river conservation in North America. A long-time member of the SFS/NABS, Art has served as the Societyâ€™s President, as a member of the Executive Committee, as a J-NABS Associate Editor, and as a member of numerous committees. He has displayed a life-long love and dedication to the Society and to its goal of promoting the further understanding of freshwater benthic systems.
Evolution of a Benthologist
- Making Waves Podcast Episode 27: Animal Migrations andnd Freshwater Nutrient Subsidies , Amanda Subalusky more
- Making Waves Podcast Episode 26: Carbon Fates, Dr. Erin Hotchkiss more
- Does Cultural Diversity Matter to Scientific Societies? Read the President's Environment more
- SFS Student Presentation Awards! more
- In the drift just fell into your sampler! The Spring 2015 Newsletter is here! more
- Making Waves Podcast Episode 14: Nitrogen Fixation in a Warming World, Dr. Jill Welter more
- The President's Environment: What's New? more
Longtime SFS member and Oregon State University professor Dr. Norman Anderson passed away January 13, 2018.more
4th International Symposium of the Benthological Society of Asia and 2nd Youth Freshwater Ecology School August 19-25, 2018more
2018 Benthic Ecology Meeting (BEM) in Corpus Christi, Texas, USA: 28-30 March 2018.
The deadline to submit proposals for AQUATROP Special Sessions or Symposiums is now November 17, 2017.more
SFS joins CASS in condemning silencing of EPA scientistsmore