6th Annual NABS Photo Contest
Back by popular demand, the 6th annual NABS photo contest will be held at the 2011 NABS meeting in Providence, Rhode Island. This event celebrates photographers in the NABS community and also encourages contributions to the NABS Image Library for educational, non-for-profit use. In addition, winning photos will be used in the creation of a non-profit NABS calendar to be sold as a fundraiser for student awards. This yearâ€™s contest will be co-sponsored by Freshwaters Illustrated, who will help coordinate the exhibition and will also donate additional prizes for winning photos. Submissions will be accepted from now until May 6th, 2011, and the winner will be announced at the banquet in Providence.
- The photograph must relate to freshwater organisms or habitats and be in digital format.
- A caption must accompany the photo. Please be descriptive about organisms, environments, and behaviors.
- Only one photo per participant can be entered in the contest (but we hope that you contribute many pictures to the image library).
- If deemed appropriate, submissions will be included in the NABS and Freshwaters Illustrated image libraries, and freely distributed for educational, non-profit purposes. Participation in the contest implies that you agree to these terms. (You are giving NABS and FI a non-exclusive right to use and distribute on the web, and everyone the right to use for educational non-profit purposes.)
- Submissions, with captions, are to be emailed to Freshwaters Illustrated (firstname.lastname@example.org) before midnight, May 6th, 2011. Send the highest resolution you have, in jpg format. Use sRGB, if possible. Images in other color spaces will be converted to sRGB using Photoshop CS2 defaults.
- Photos will be printed and displayed at the NABS 2011 meeting in Providence, and the winning photos will be determined by votes gathered during the poster session.
- With the permission of the photographer, the photos may be included at the silent auction on Wednesday in Providence to raise money for the Endowment.
Prizes will be awarded to the top photographer, and will include:
- An underwater digital camera
- A free annual membership to NABS
- A free annual Membership to Freshwaters Illustrated
- Making Waves Ep. 23: Freshwater Salinization, Dr. Miguel Cañedo-Argüelles more
- Announcement of SFS Endorsement of the March for Science more
- March 2017 Issue of Freshwater Science now online more
- 2017 Instars Fellowship applications now available more
- What's happenin'? Find out the news In The Drift... more
- Emily Bernhardt's President's Environment: Be Kind more
- Read the Spring 2016 issue of in the drift! more
Upcoming deadlines for the Fourth Symposium on Urbanization and Stream Ecologymore
New BRIDGES cluster highlights rapid evidence synthesis in environmental causal assessmentsmore
New publication describes the fate and ecological effects of amphetamine on biofilm, seston, and aquatic insect communitiesmore
SFS Bibliography Update: The 2014 SFS Bibliography is available.more
New publication describes dataset developed to assess aquatic condition and watershed integritymore