7th Annual SFS Photo Contest
Back by popular demand, the 7th annual SFS photo contest will be held at the 2012 SFS meeting in Louisville, Kentucky. This event celebrates photographers in the SFS community and also encourages contributions to the SFS Image Library for educational, non-for-profit use. In addition, winning photos will be used in the creation of a non-profit SFS calendar to be sold as a fundraiser for student awards. This year’s contest will be co-sponsored by Freshwaters Illustrated, who will help coordinate the exhibition and will also donate additional prizes for winning photos. Submissions will be accepted from now until May 11th, 2012, and the winner will be announced at the banquet in Louisville.
- The photograph must relate to freshwater organisms or habitats and be in digital format.
- A caption must accompany the photo. Please be descriptive about organisms, environments, and behaviors.
- Only one photo per participant can be entered in the contest (but we hope that you contribute many pictures to the image library).
- If deemed appropriate, submissions will be included in the SFS and Freshwaters Illustrated image libraries, and freely distributed for educational, non-profit purposes. Participation in the contest implies that you agree to these terms. (You are giving SFS and FI a non-exclusive right to use and distribute on the web, and everyone the right to use for educational non-profit purposes.)
- Submissions, with captions, are to be emailed to Freshwaters Illustrated (email@example.com) before midnight, May 11th, 2012. Send the highest resolution you have, in jpg format. Use sRGB, if possible. Images in other color spaces will be converted to sRGB using Photoshop CS2 defaults.
- Photos will be printed and displayed at the SFS 2012 meeting in Louisville, and the winning photos will be determined by votes gathered during the poster session.
- With the permission of the photographer, the photos may be included at the silent auction on Wednesday in Louisville to raise money for the Endowment.
Prizes will be awarded to the top photographer, and will include:
- An underwater digital camera
- A free annual membership to SFS
- A free annual Membership to Freshwaters Illustrated
- Making Waves Podcast Episode 27: Animal Migrations andnd Freshwater Nutrient Subsidies , Amanda Subalusky more
- Making Waves Podcast Episode 26: Carbon Fates, Dr. Erin Hotchkiss more
- Does Cultural Diversity Matter to Scientific Societies? Read the President's Environment more
- SFS Student Presentation Awards! more
- In the drift just fell into your sampler! The Spring 2015 Newsletter is here! more
- Making Waves Podcast Episode 14: Nitrogen Fixation in a Warming World, Dr. Jill Welter more
- The President's Environment: What's New? more
4th International Symposium of the Benthological Society of Asia and 2nd Youth Freshwater Ecology School August 19-25, 2018more
2018 Benthic Ecology Meeting (BEM) in Corpus Christi, Texas, USA: 28-30 March 2018.
The deadline to submit proposals for AQUATROP Special Sessions or Symposiums is now November 17, 2017.more
SFS joins CASS in condemning silencing of EPA scientistsmore
Andy Leidolf appointed as SFS Executive Director