8th Annual SFS Photo Contest
Back by popular demand, the 8th annual SFS photo contest will be held at the 2013 SFS meeting in Jacksonville, Florida. This event celebrates photographers in the SFS community and also encourages contributions to the SFS Image Library for educational, non-for-profit use. In addition, winning photos will be used in the creation of a non-profit SFS calendar to be sold as a fundraiser for student awards. This year’s contest will be co-sponsored by Freshwaters Illustrated, who will help coordinate the exhibition and will also donate additional prizes for winning photos. Submissions will be accepted from now until May 10th, and the winner will be announced at the banquet in Jacksonville.
- The photograph must relate to freshwater organisms or habitats and be in digital format.
- A caption must accompany the photo. Please be descriptive about organisms, environments, and behaviors.
- Only one photo per participant can be entered in the contest (but we hope that you contribute many pictures to the image library).
- If deemed appropriate, submissions will be included in the SFS and Freshwaters Illustrated image libraries, and freely distributed for educational, non-profit purposes. Participation in the contest implies that you agree to these terms. (You are giving SFS and FI a non-exclusive right to use and distribute on the web, and everyone the right to use for educational non-profit purposes.)
- Submissions, with captions, are to be emailed to Freshwaters Illustrated (email@example.com) before midnight, May 10th, 2013. Send the highest resolution you have, in jpg format. Use sRGB, if possible. Images in other color spaces will be converted to sRGB using Photoshop CS2 defaults.
- Photos will be printed and displayed at the SFS 2013 meeting in Jacksonville, and the winning photos will be determined by votes gathered during the poster session.
- With the permission of the photographer, the photos may be included at the silent auction on Wednesday in Jacksonville to raise money for the Endowment.
Prizes will be awarded to the top photographer, and will include:
- An underwater digital camera
- A free annual membership to SFS
- A free annual Membership to Freshwaters Illustrated
- Making Waves Ep. 24: Quantitative and Computational Approaches to Explain Biodiversity, Dr. Jonathan Tonkin more
- Emily Bernhardt's President's Environment: Freshwater Science Family Reunion more
- June 2017 issue of Freshwater Science now online more
- What's happenin'? Find out the news In The Drift... more
- Read the Spring 2016 issue of in the drift! more
- Proposed Constitutional Revisions 2016 more
- Newsletter! Newsletter! in the drift more
SFS announces logo redesign competition. Submissions due 21 Aug. 2017.more
Please take a short survey on the SFS logo redesignmore
The SFS ad hoc committee on inclusivity is producing a short video to highlight why freshwater scientists value having a diverse and inclusive societymore
Upcoming deadlines for the Fourth Symposium on Urbanization and Stream Ecologymore
New BRIDGES cluster highlights rapid evidence synthesis in environmental causal assessmentsmore