Member Survey: Revisiting NABS Name
Expiration Date: 10/13/2020
13 October 2010
Dear Members of the North American Benthological Society,
We are asking you to provide input on a short survey. Thank you in advance for your participation on this important topic. The survey will close at the end of business on Oct 27 so please follow the links to login and participate now.
Background: In response to the 2009 Strategic Plan, the NABS leadership initiated a process to evaluate the name of our society and the title of our journal. The NABS leadership recognizes that opinions regarding the name of the society and the title of its journal are diverse but is convinced that periodic self-examination and assessment are useful activities to ensure that the society's public face is current and is consistent with the scientific goals and interests of its members.
Therefore, the NABS leadership appointed a Name Evaluation Committee to help the Society find options for the society name that 1) are recognizable by those outside our society, and 2) best represent what the majority of our members do and for the journal title that accurately reflect journal content and scientific and geographic scope.
The Committee is working to involve NABS members in defining what 'we'
do and to identify alternative names and titles. The objectives for this Committee are to identify the best-possible alternatives to the current society name and journal title and to provide members with the opportunity to decide via votes on 2 constitutional amendments (one for the name and one for the title) whether the current name and/or journal title remain appropriate and should be retained or whether the society name and/or journal title should be changed to one of the proposed alternatives.
Timeline: A multi-step process is being implemented for this purpose.
1) At the 2010 Santa Fe meeting, a list of key terms was identified that represent the scope of our members' work.
2) These terms have been consolidated to eliminate redundancy and members are being asked to rank their preferences in a survey.
"Benthological" and "North American" are options for those who prefer current name.
3) Preferred terms will then be used to draft a few society names and journal titles. During the Presidential Election, members will be asked to rank their preferences.
4) At the 2011 Annual Business Meeting, highest ranking alternative society names and journal titles will be put to a vote. Note that during each step the current name and journal title will be explicitly listed as alternatives.
Please participate in our survey. You will be asked to rank terms that will be used to draft possible alternative society names and journal titles. You will need to login using your member login to access the survey.
The survey is available at:
Thank you in advance for your input on this important topic.
Technical questions regarding the online survey may be directed to the Web Editor (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Fall 2017 Issue of In the Drift now available! more
- Making Waves Ep. 25: Modeling Environmental DNA Movement in Streams, Arial Shogren more
- September 2017 Issue of Freshwater Science now online more
- Does Cultural Diversity Matter to Scientific Societies? Read the President's Environment more
- SFS Student Presentation Awards! more
- In the drift just fell into your sampler! The Spring 2015 Newsletter is here! more
- Making Waves Podcast Episode 14: Nitrogen Fixation in a Warming World, Dr. Jill Welter more
Andy Leidolf appointed as SFS Executive Director
SFS LOGO CONTEST VOTE!
Over 60 logos were submitted by 28 individuals and narrowed to 3 finalists. Now is your chance to select the winner.more
SFS signs two letters sent to the US EPA regarding the Trump Administration's proposed revisions to the Waters of the US rule
COMPETITION CLOSED - SFS announces logo redesign competition. Submissions due 21 Aug. 2017.more
Please take a short survey on the SFS logo redesignmore