Macroinvertebrate samples available
Expiration Date: 6/30/2017
A recent Master’s student of mine completed a two-year study of aquatic invertebrates in a pristine central Massachusetts stream system. We want a home for these samples, otherwise we’ll probably have to simply get rid of them. Will pay for shipping them to a good home. More information (e.g., a copy of the thesis) can be obtained by contacting me.
The salient features are:
East Branch Swift River, tributary to the Quabbin Reservoir
Sampled riffles bordered by three types of riparian habitat—deciduous forest, hemlock forest, meadow
Two reaches sampled within each riparian habitat type
Two riffles sampled per reach
Five 1-ft square samples per riffle
Spring, summer, fall samples in each of two years
All samples picked (n = 360); 120 ID’d and analyzed. Fifty taxa (family level) identified.
NOTE: we will be trying to publish the primary comparative research (in FS), but place no restrictions on anyone publishing other papers using the data.
John A. Baker
Research Associate Professor
Department of Biology &
Environmental Science Program
950 Main Street
Worcester, Massachusetts, USA 01610
Voice: (508) 793.7609
Fax: (508) 793-7174
- Making Waves Podcast Episode 27: Animal Migrations andnd Freshwater Nutrient Subsidies , Amanda Subalusky more
- Making Waves Podcast Episode 26: Carbon Fates, Dr. Erin Hotchkiss more
- Does Cultural Diversity Matter to Scientific Societies? Read the President's Environment more
- SFS Student Presentation Awards! more
- In the drift just fell into your sampler! The Spring 2015 Newsletter is here! more
- Making Waves Podcast Episode 14: Nitrogen Fixation in a Warming World, Dr. Jill Welter more
- The President's Environment: What's New? more
4th International Symposium of the Benthological Society of Asia and 2nd Youth Freshwater Ecology School August 19-25, 2018more
2018 Benthic Ecology Meeting (BEM) in Corpus Christi, Texas, USA: 28-30 March 2018.
The deadline to submit proposals for AQUATROP Special Sessions or Symposiums is now November 17, 2017.more
SFS joins CASS in condemning silencing of EPA scientistsmore
Andy Leidolf appointed as SFS Executive Director