Two PhD Positions in Aquatic Ecology
Graduate Student and Postdoc Positions
Expiration Date: 12/01/2017
Hood Lab, Aquatic Ecology Laboratory, Department of Evolution, Ecology, and Organismal Biology, The Ohio State University
The Hood lab is recruiting two Ph.D. students interested in developing dissertations focused broadly on how global change drivers (e.g., land use, nutrient loading, climate warming, etc.) influence organisms and the structure and function of aquatic ecosystems. There is considerable flexibility in developing dissertation topics; however, I am particularly interested in recruiting students interested in several new research questions:
- Do rivers in agricultural landscapes shape the quantity, quality, and/or timing of nutrient exports to recipient ecosystems?
- How do nutrient loading and climate change interact to shape the structure and function of Lake Erie plankton communities?
- How do the interactive effects of temperature and nutrient supply on autotrophic metabolism scale from populations to communities and ecosystems?
Interested candidates should review our website (www.hoodaquaticslab.wordpress.com) and/or contact Jim Hood (email@example.com) for more information. The ideal candidates will be highly motivated, honest, and hard-working with a strong background in ecology and freshwater science and an interest in ecosystem ecology. I seek to maintain a productive, diverse, and team-orientated lab group and especially encourage students from under-represented groups to consider joining the lab. A Master’s degree is preferred, but not required. Financial support is available through a combination of research assistantships, competitive fellowships, and teaching assistantships.
If interested, please email Jim Hood (firstname.lastname@example.org) a single PDF containing (1) a statement of interest, (2) a CV, and (3) contact information for your three references. I will begin reviewing candidate applications and invite selected applicants to officially apply to the department around 1 November 2017. The department's application deadline is 1 December 2017.
Aquatic Ecology Laboratory: www.ael.osu.edu
Department of Evolution, Ecology, and Organismal Biology: https://eeob.osu.edu/grad/graduate-program
- Making Waves Podcast Episode 26: Carbon Fates, Dr. Erin Hotchkiss more
- Fall 2017 Issue of In the Drift now available! more
- September 2017 Issue of Freshwater Science now online more
- Does Cultural Diversity Matter to Scientific Societies? Read the President's Environment more
- SFS Student Presentation Awards! more
- In the drift just fell into your sampler! The Spring 2015 Newsletter is here! more
- Making Waves Podcast Episode 14: Nitrogen Fixation in a Warming World, Dr. Jill Welter more
The deadline to submit proposals for AQUATROP Special Sessions or Symposiums is now November 17, 2017.more
SFS joins CASS in condemning silencing of EPA scientistsmore
Andy Leidolf appointed as SFS Executive Director
VOTING CLOSED - SFS LOGO CONTEST VOTE!
Over 60 logos were submitted by 28 individuals and narrowed to 3 finalists. Now is your chance to select the winner.more
SFS signs two letters sent to the US EPA regarding the Trump Administration's proposed revisions to the Waters of the US rule