SFS Logo Redesign Competition
Published On: 7/5/2017
COMPETITION CLOSED - SFS announces logo redesign competition. Submissions due 21 Aug. 2017.
Thank you all for your feedback on the SFS logo redesign. Of the logo options presented to you, one was clearly preferred over the others (logo 2); but no logo received as much enthusiastic support as we had hoped for. In an effort to leave no rock unturned, the Board has agreed to solicit additional logo ideas from the SFS membership and other interested parties. The person or team submitting the selected design will receive a prize of either $500 or free registration at the next annual meeting.
The logo redesign committee identified the following themes that represent the essence of the Society: freshwater, science, welcoming, community, professional, trustworthy, inclusive. The ideal logo will convey these themes and satisfy the following criteria:
It should convey what the society is about and appeal to a broad freshwater science audience.
- It should contain both a visual graphic as well as a wordmark (i.e., Society for Freshwater Science).
- It should have a professional, clean, simple, unique, and iconic design that provides an easily recognizable brand for the society.
- It must not infringe on the registered logos of others.
- It should be easily transferable to different media including the web site, letterhead, t-shirts, playing cards, mugs, water bottles, etc.
- It must be scalable and clearly recognizable when reduced in size for use on letterhead (i.e., no more than 2 cm high).
- The aspect ratio (width to height) should be either 1:1 (circle or square) or about 2.8:1 (rectangular) including wordmark.
Please refer to our compilation of other logos and the mood board that our web design vendor produced (link)to help inspire logo design and guide color and font selection.
You need not submit a polished logo. The society can provide professional services to take draft ideas to completion and may adjust colors and styling to align with the SFS website and other promotional materials.
All submissions are due on 21 August 2017 and should be submitted directly to Chuck Hawkins (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please use “SFS Logo Submission” in your subject line. Make sure your logo file is no larger than 20 MB in size. For the initial evaluation, please submit your logo in pdf format.
The selected logo will become the property of the Society for Freshwater Science.
Please contact Chuck Hawkins if you have questions.
Chuck Hawkins, Logo Redesign Committee Chair
Colden Baxter, SFS President
- Fall 2017 Issue of In the Drift now available! more
- September 2017 Issue of Freshwater Science now online more
- Does Cultural Diversity Matter to Scientific Societies? Read the President's Environment more
- SFS Student Presentation Awards! more
- In the drift just fell into your sampler! The Spring 2015 Newsletter is here! more
- Making Waves Podcast Episode 14: Nitrogen Fixation in a Warming World, Dr. Jill Welter more
- The President's Environment: What's New? more
The deadline to submit proposals for AQUATROP Special Sessions or Symposiums is now November 17, 2017.more
SFS joins CASS in condemning silencing of EPA scientistsmore
Andy Leidolf appointed as SFS Executive Director
VOTING CLOSED - SFS LOGO CONTEST VOTE!
Over 60 logos were submitted by 28 individuals and narrowed to 3 finalists. Now is your chance to select the winner.more
SFS signs two letters sent to the US EPA regarding the Trump Administration's proposed revisions to the Waters of the US rule