Financial intervention for the Experimental Lakes Area
Published On: 4/29/2013
Provincial government intervenes on behalf of Experimental Lakes Area
Founded in 1968, ELA has offered scientists the unique opportunity to do applied research on entire freshwater ecosystems. The ELA is located on the Canadian Shield in northwestern Ontario, about 250 km east of Winnipeg. Fifty-eight small lakes and their catchments were managed through a joint agreement between the Governments of Canada and Ontario. The Canadian government announced the ELA closure in May 2012; buildings, including sleeping quarters, have begun to be dismantled in March 2013.
Financial negotiations among the federal government, the provinces of Ontario and Manitoba and the International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD, the only group interested in managing the ELA) are ongoing. The roles of these governments and organizations have not been determined yet.
- Fall 2017 Issue of In the Drift now available! more
- Making Waves Ep. 25: Modeling Environmental DNA Movement in Streams, Arial Shogren more
- September 2017 Issue of Freshwater Science now online more
- Does Cultural Diversity Matter to Scientific Societies? Read the President's Environment more
- SFS Student Presentation Awards! more
- In the drift just fell into your sampler! The Spring 2015 Newsletter is here! more
- Making Waves Podcast Episode 14: Nitrogen Fixation in a Warming World, Dr. Jill Welter more
Andy Leidolf appointed as SFS Executive Director
SFS LOGO CONTEST VOTE!
Over 60 logos were submitted by 28 individuals and narrowed to 3 finalists. Now is your chance to select the winner.more
SFS signs two letters sent to the US EPA regarding the Trump Administration's proposed revisions to the Waters of the US rule
COMPETITION CLOSED - SFS announces logo redesign competition. Submissions due 21 Aug. 2017.more
Please take a short survey on the SFS logo redesignmore