Making Waves: Instars
Making Waves is the podcast of the Society for Freshwater Science
Episode 11: Promoting Diversity in Freshwater Science
This podcast features Society for Freshwater Science Education & Diversity Committee Members discussing the SFS Instars Program.
Founded in 2011, the Society for Freshwater Science Instars program aims to promote diversity in the field by mentoring undergraduate students from underrepresented groups. Through a series of workshops and networking activities, the program helps orient new students to major research areas and opportunities in aquatic research. The organizers of the program discuss its origin, mission, and hopes for the future.
Guests: Dr. Marcelo Ardon (East Carolina University), Dr. Krista Capps (University of Maine), Dr. Checo Colon-Gaud (Georgia Southern University), Dr. Judy Li (Oregon State University), and Dr. Patina Mendez (University of California, Berkeley)
Running time: 21 minutes
Host: Eric Moody
Listen to the podcast
- Making Waves Podcast Episode 26: Carbon Fates, Dr. Erin Hotchkiss more
- Fall 2017 Issue of In the Drift now available! more
- September 2017 Issue of Freshwater Science now online more
- Does Cultural Diversity Matter to Scientific Societies? Read the President's Environment more
- SFS Student Presentation Awards! more
- In the drift just fell into your sampler! The Spring 2015 Newsletter is here! more
- Making Waves Podcast Episode 14: Nitrogen Fixation in a Warming World, Dr. Jill Welter more
The deadline to submit proposals for AQUATROP Special Sessions or Symposiums is now November 17, 2017.more
SFS joins CASS in condemning silencing of EPA scientistsmore
Andy Leidolf appointed as SFS Executive Director
VOTING CLOSED - SFS LOGO CONTEST VOTE!
Over 60 logos were submitted by 28 individuals and narrowed to 3 finalists. Now is your chance to select the winner.more
SFS signs two letters sent to the US EPA regarding the Trump Administration's proposed revisions to the Waters of the US rule